Friday, October 23, 2009

Killzone 2 Review

I have always had an interest/loved playing video games. Some people may find video games a waste of time, but I see them as a movie that you interact with. It's not like you are doing anything better by watching a movie rather than playing a video game, you just sitting for both, unless you are playing on the wii.

Today I am going to review a very well made game, Killzone 2. A continuation of the killzone family of games, Killzone 2 takes place during the counterattack resulting from the helghast's attack on Vecta. The helghast where pushed back to their home planet of Helghan and now the Vectan ISA (the ISA is essentially their
military) are now pushing to eradicate the thread posed by the helghast. If you would like the full backstory, you can read up on it here.

The visuals in Killzone 2 are nothing short of incredible. If you are into the gritty war torn look, then this is the game for you. They have taken great care to make sure that this game is polished everywhere it needs to be, yet still gritty in it's feel and experience. It wasn't hard at all for me to get sucked into this game to the point where I wouldn't put down the paddle unless I had cleared the particular conflict I was in, or absolutely had to go to bed so I could go to work in the morning.

Games of this particular style have interesting ways of letting you know you are about to die, or getting hurt. For example, Gear of War starts to turn your view red as you get more and more injured. Killzone has taken an opposite direction with this, as you get more and more injured, your view get increasingly less colorful. As you can see from the example on the left, there is essentially no color in this shot except for the glowing eyes of your adversary.

Many times during the game you will get caught in what seem to be endless hordes of Helghast coming at you from all directions, which normally would be a little frustrating. As I have played Killzone 2 I have come to enjoy these moments as I can find ways to make myself more effective while dealing with these seemingly insurmountable number of foes. Many times I will let the NPCs (Non Player Characters) take care of the ground work, and I will sit in a higher perch with the sniper rifle and take out numbers of foes from afar.

Speaking of the sniper rifle, I think the creators of killzone did a great job making the feel of the game authentic with implementing the sniper sway into the Sixaxis controller. if you tilt your controller to the right while looking through the sniper scope, your view will go to the right, and same with the left. So if you are a player who get worked up in a moment like that and doesn't calm himself down, you are in for a very bumpy time trying to aim the sniper rifle.

I have been gaming for many years, and haven't seen many games that are as immersive as killzone 2. If you are into shooters at all. I very strongly recommend Killzone 2.

If you would like to buy Killzone, you can purchase it here.



If you would like to try renting Killzone 2, gamefly is a great place to get the rentals you want, without having to worry about late fees.
Thanks for reading my little review here.
Next in line will be Gran Turismo 5 Prologue.

No comments: